A Reliable Technique for Stress Relief
One of the best things about mindfulness is that it is a natural ability humans have. Like a muscle that you exercise or a skill that you train, accessing and strengthening your mindfulness comes with repeated practice.
Here is a technique you can use any time you want to relax and center your thoughts. It's all about tapping into mindfulness by focusing on the rhythm of your breath.
This is a breathing technique to stimulate the vagus nerve, part of our parasympathetic nervous system. Breathing this way causes a conscious shift between the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems, cycling your natural stress response with a restorative/relaxation response:
- Find a comfortable place to sit, lay down or stand for the next 3-5 minutes. Once you are ready, proceed with the next steps.
- Take a deep breath through your mouth that centers on your belly/abdomen. Do not inhale to the point of discomfort but make the breath larger and more intentional than you normally would.
- Hold this breath for a count of five. Lower your chin toward your chest if this helps with holding your breath comfortably.
- Slowly release this breath (raising your head if you’ve previously lowered it) through your nose. This completes one cycle of stress breathing.
- Repeat steps 1-3. Aim for at least ten cycles with an even rhythm between the inhales and exhales of breath.
Emotional Wellness and Genius Joy
Everyone feels down sometimes, and it doesn’t always seem to be related to any particular stress. As part of our goal of optimizing and biohacking human potential, we created Genius Joy to support mood, motivation, and attention.
Genius Joy includes plenty of vitamins proven to support the brain and improve mood, including Vitamin B6, B12, and Vitamin D. We also include a variety of high-quality nootropic ingredients to further support a balanced mood and focus:
SAM-e is a compound our bodies make naturally and can acquire from supplements. It helps our brain slow the breakdown of key neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine so they can last longer, along with aiding the production of receptors that receive them.
Rhodiola rosea and Red Panax ginseng
These herbs aid the body with balancing different hormones, supporting stress and energy levels.
L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine and 5-HTP
These amino acids further support mood and stress management naturally. 5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin, one of the body’s most important hormones for mood regulation.
This coffee fruit extract is rich in polyphenols and can stimulate the production of BDNF (Brain-derived neurotrophic factor), an important neuroprotein for brain functions like memory and focus.
Genius Joy harnesses nootropics for supporting emotional wellbeing and is available here on our website.